Friday, May 22, 2015

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

37-99-16-72-4204-5682 That was the phone number I had tucked in my pocket this afternoon as a team of 4 from our group headed out to volunteer at a wound clinic in Delmas.  I padded my pocket a few time during our long and bumpy ride through the busy city streets.  Even though I knew God had our back, I couldn’t help but reach for the slip of paper in my pocket with phone number for the guesthouse.

I received a text from my son, Mitchell today that really spoke to my heart and helped me reframe the day. “I will continue to pray for you Mom. Even though this is an overwhelming situation, you are still willing to go and be a part of it. You are a brave/courageous person and I am proud of you.” I wasn’t feeling very brave until I read Mitchell’s text and heard that my family was lifting me up in prayer. 

When we arrived at the clinic there were several people waiting to have their wounds attended to and receive medicine. We helped the nuns set up the equipment, they gave us quick instructions and put us right to work. Despite the language barrier , we were able to minister to many people today. Smiles, nods and a “thumbs up” seemed sufficient. 

Whenever I get nervous, I either starting singing opera or speak in Spanish. Well, today I was trying to help a young man and I responded to his question in Spanish and he knew Spanish! God sure does have a sense of humor! It was a great way to break the ice before I started his dressing change. 

I was so hot and tired when we were ready to leave that my teammates had to pull me up in to the back of the truck. We drove away knowing that God had used each one of us in a mighty way. By the way, my teammates were Erin, Miranda, and Olivia! Parents, you would have been so proud of your girls!

Earlier in the day, I had the privilege of working at a home for sick children that is run by nuns. I had the opportunity to hold precious babies and feed 2 children lunch. I also worked with another gal on our team and we helped the nurses prepare the vitamins for the children.

As I close tonight, I just received a text from my dear husband, Paul. “I am proud of you Jody, you’re right where you are supposed to be.” I truly am right where God wants me to be and I can’t wait to see what appointments God has lined up for me tomorrow!

Love to all,

Jody

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 9:18 PM, Erin Connolly <conner02@luther.edu> wrote:
Helpless.
Me. Not them.

Today was water truck day, our first day out in the field and my first day out in the field, ever. Though we knew what we would be doing and a little of what to expect in Cite Soleil, there is nothing that could have prepared me for what I experienced today. 

I was on breakfast duty this morning and got the chance to work with three Haitian women to help prepare our HUGE breakfast. They don’t speak much English but were some of the sweetest people I have worked with. The lead cook, Fonise, was so patient with me, showing me exactly how to make the scrambled eggs with peppers and onions and I got to learn a new way to cut up at mango. Sweet! 

After we all finished piling on the sunscreen and bug spray, we piled on the tap-tap and were our way to the truck filling station. I was excited to get out there and play with the kids. There were many trucks in line waiting to fill their 3,500-gallon tanks so it took a little bit of time for us to be on our way. Once our truck was full, we followed in the tap-tap into Cite Soleil to our first stop of the day. As we pulled up, the kids were shouting in tandem, “hey you, hey you!” They were crowding the door to the tap-tap just waiting for us to get out, grabbing at our feet still saying, “hey you, hey you.” Once my feet hit the ground there were kids all around, arms reaching, looking for someone to hold them. All they wanted was someone to give them a hug. I was so overwhelmed with all of the children around me that I could barely even think about what was happening, I just did. I just held and loved. 

We took a stop back at the filling station and after about an hour, were headed back to Cite Soleil for round two. Since I knew more of what to expect this time around, I was able to slow down and take more of it in. Toward the end of our time, there was a little girl somewhere around two years old at my feet looking up into my eyes. This little one was sick, and very very dirty, more so than the rest. I held her and talked to her, she didn’t speak or really show any emotion at all but just kept looking from my eyes to my hands and back. She was so mesmerized by my hands, the color and the size compared to hers. All too quickly, we were signaled to head back to the tap-tap and leave. 

Immediately, I was struck with a very heavy heart. I was going to have to set this little one down and I had no clue where her mother was, or even who she belonged to. What was going to happen to her? Was she going to be okay? As I set her down, she placed her hands in mine and then all of a sudden she gave me a high-ten and a huge smile crossed her face. She knew this game and was delighted that I was willing to play. After a few times I stood up and smiled down at her, prepared to walk away, until she threw both her arms around my legs. It was at that moment that I felt completely and totally helpless. In all reality I did nothing for the little girl and more over, I was about to walk away from her and leave her behind. And I don’t even know her name. 

Her face as I walked away will be forever etched in my mind. Her smile faded as I walked back to the tap-tap and then I lost sight of her completely. She was gone. In the grand scheme of things, this was such a fleeting moment in both our lives. In the blink of an eye I met this little one and then it was over. What did I even do for her? I held her for a moment and made her smile a few times and then I left her. I did nothing. I gave her nothing. For that I feel helpless. 

The only thing that brings peace to my heart is knowing that she is a Child of God, and that he is watching over her, that her treasure is in heaven and that I will see her there again someday. He has claimed her and loves her more that I ever could, but His love was working through me today as I held her and I am forever grateful to God for that moment. 

God is good and as I learned tonight in pit-time, the battle is not mine, but God’s and he has already won it. I just have to trust in him and love those I encounter, as he loves me. 

God’s love to you all.

Erin 

No comments:

Post a Comment